[Buchreihe] David Weber - Honor Harrington

Einklappen
X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

Nicht wirklich nein. Aber mit der Buchzusammenfassung auf Amazon komm ich auch nicht klar. Den Inhalt hab ich irgendwie anders in Erinnerung als da zusammengefasst wurde. Vielleicht haben sie es ja etwas dramatisiert... .
    Ihr müsst uns nicht fürchten, es sei denn, Eure Herzen sind nicht rein. Ihr seid Abschaum, der Jagd auf Unschuldige macht.
    Ich verspreche Euch, Ihr könnt euch nicht ewig vor der leeren Dunkelheit verstecken.
    Denn wir werden Euch zur Strecke bringen, wie die räudigen Tiere die Ihr seid.
    und Euch in die tiefsten Abgründe der Hölle verbannen

Kommentar

ich bin gespannt ob die Bücher der Hauptserie wieder vom alten Übersetzer gemacht werden. Torch of Freedom soll auf Deutsch ja eine einzige Katastrophe sein.

Kommentar

Ich hab mal Jeremy X gelesen, ging so. Bissl zäh und der Stil war auch nicht grad überwältigend.
        Ihr müsst uns nicht fürchten, es sei denn, Eure Herzen sind nicht rein. Ihr seid Abschaum, der Jagd auf Unschuldige macht.
        Ich verspreche Euch, Ihr könnt euch nicht ewig vor der leeren Dunkelheit verstecken.

Kommentar

Es gibt ein erstes Snippet von A Rising Thunder!

Zitat von David Weber
          March, 1922 Post Diaspora

"Trust me, the hole would've been a hell of a lot deeper!"

--- Ensign Helen Zilwicki,Royal Manticoran Navy

CHAPTER ONE

"Get your goddamned ships the hell out of my space!"

The burly, dark-haired man on Commander Pang Yau-pau's com was red-faced and snarling, and Pang took as firm a grip as he could on his own temper.

"I'm afraid that's not possible, Commodore Chalker," he replied as courteously as the circumstances permitted. "My orders are to protect Manticoran vessels passing through this terminus on their way home to Manticoran space."

"I don't give a damn about your 'orders,' Commander!" Commodore Jeremy Chalker spat back. His ship and the other five destroyers keeping station upon it were 2.4 million kilometers --- eight light-seconds --- from Pang's cruiser, and one might have thought it would be difficult to maintain a properly infuriated conversation over such a distance, especially with the delays light-speed transmissions built into its exchanges. Chalker seemed able to manage it quite handily, however. "You're in violation of my star system's sovereignty, you've evicted Solarian Astro Control personnel from their duty stations, and I want your ass gone!"

"Sir, it's not my intention to violate anyone's sovereignty," Pang replied, choosing to let the rather thornier question of the Solly traffic controllers lie. "My sole interest at this time is the protection of the Star Empire's merchant vessels."

Sixteen more seconds ticked past, and then ---

"Shut your mouth, return control of this terminus to the personnel whose control stations you've illegally seized, and turn your ass around now, or I will by God open fire on the next fucking Manty freighter I see!"

Pang Yau-pau's normally mild brown eyes hardened, and he inhaled deeply.

"Skipper," a quiet voice said.

The single word couldn't have been more respectful, yet it was edged with warning, and Pang hit the mute button and glanced at the smaller screen deployed from the base of his command chair. Lieutenant Commander Myra Sadowski, his executive officer looked back at him from it.

"I know he's a pain in the ass," she continued in that same quiet voice, "but we're supposed to do this without making any more waves than we have to. If you hand this guy his head the way you want to --- the way he deserves, for that matter --- I think it would probably come under the heading of at least a ripple or two."

Myra, Pang reflected, had a point. There was, however, a time and a place for everything. For that matter, the Admiralty hadn't sent Pang and HMS Onyx to the Nolan Terminus to let someone like Jeremy Chalker make that sort of threat.

No, they didn't, another corner of the commander's brain told him. At the same time, I don't suppose it's too hard to understand why he's so pissed off. Not that it makes me like him any better.

At the moment, Onyx, her sister ship Smilodon, the Roland-class destroyer Tornado and the much older destroyer Othello were over six hundred and fifty light-years from the Manticore Binary System and barely two hundred light-years from the Sol System. It was not a particularly huge force to have wandering around so deep in increasingly hostile territory, as Pang was only too well aware. In fact, Nolan was a protectorate system of the Solarian League, and Chalker was an SLN officer, the senior Frontier Fleet officer present. He looked old for his rank, which suggested a certain lack of familial connections within the SLN, although he must have at least some influence to have ended up with the Nolan command. The system's proximity to the Nolan Terminus of the Nolan-Katharina Hyper Bridge was what had brought it to the Office of Frontier Security's attention a hundred-odd T-years ago, and the local OFS and Frontier Fleet officers had been raking off a comfortable percentage of the terminus user fees ever since. Judging from the reaction of the SLN captain who'd commanded the OFS-installed terminus traffic control staff when Pang ordered him to turn his control stations over to Manticoran personnel, another chunk of those fees had probably been finding its way into his pockets, as well. Precious little of that revenue had ended up in Nolan itself, at any rate.

Well, at least this time we can be pretty confident we're not hurting some innocent third-party star system's revenue stream, he thought. And it's not like we're planning to keep the terminus . . . just now, anyway. We'll give it back to them when I'm sure we've gotten all our ships safely through it. And if someone like Chalker takes one in the bank account in the meantime, I'm sure I'll be able to live with my regret somehow.

Of course, Pang never doubted that the rest of theSolarian League Navy was going to be just as infuriated as Chalker by Manticore's "arrogance" in seizing control of Solarian-claimed termini even temporarily. What was going to happen when Lacoön Two kicked in hardly bore thinking upon, although anyone who really thought not executing Lacoön Two was going to make one bit of difference to the Sollies was probably smoking things he shouldn't.

"I'm not the one making the waves," he told Sadowski out loud, then glanced across Onyx's command deck at Lieutenant Commander Jack Frazier, his tactical officer.

"I hope we're not going to have any business for you, Guns," he said. "If we do, I want to hold the damage to a minimum."

"You're thinking in terms of something more like what Admiral Gold Peak did at New Tuscany than what she did at Spindle, Sir?"

"Exactly." Pang smiled thinly. "Do you have Chalker's flagship IDed?"

"Yes, Sir." Frazier nodded with an answering smile. "I do. By the strangest coincidence, I've just this minute discovered that I've got her IDed, dialed in, and locked up, as a matter of fact."

"Good."

Pang paused a moment longer, taking an additional few seconds to make sure he had his own temper under control, then un-muted his audio pickup.

"Commodore Chalker," he said in a hard, flat voice quite different from the courteous one he'd employed so far, "allow me to point out two things to you. First, this terminus is, in fact, not in Nolan's territorial space. Unless my astrogation is badly off, it's five light-hours from Nolan, which puts it just a bit outside the twelve-minute limit. The Solarian League's claim to its possession rests solely on the SLN's supposed power to control the space about it. And, second, in regard to that supposed power, I respectfully suggest you consider the actual balance of force which obtains at this moment. Based on that balance, I submit that it would be unwise to issue such threats against Manticoran shipping . . . and even less wise to carry them out."

"Well piss on you, Commander! You and the rest of your 'Star Empire' may think you can throw your weight around any way you like, but there's a cold dawn coming, and it's going to get here sooner than you think!"

"I have my orders, Commodore," Pang responded in that same flat voice, "and I don't intend to debate the question of who's responsible for the current state of tension between the Star Empire and the Solarian League. I fully intend to return control of this terminus to the League --- and, obviously, to restore your personnel to their stations --- as soon as I've satisfied myself, as my orders require, that all Manticoran merchant vessels in this vicinity have been given the opportunity to return to Manticoran space through it. I regret" --- neither his tone nor his expression was, in fact, particularly regretful --- "any inconvenience this may cause for you or any other Solarian personnel or citizens. I do, however, intend to carry out all of my orders, and one of those orders is to use whatever level of force is necessary to protect Manticoran merchant shipping anywhere. And 'anywhere,' Commodore Chalker, includes Solarian space. So if you intend to fire on Manticoran freighters, why don't you just start with the ones right here under my protection? Go ahead -- be my guest. But before you do, Admiral, I suggest you recall the Royal Navy's position where the protection of merchant shipping is concerned."

He sat waiting, watching his com for the sixteen seconds his words took to reach Chalker and for the signal to come back. Precisely on schedule, Chalker's face turned even darker.

"And what the fuck does that mean?" the Solarian snarled.

"It means my tactical officer has your flagship identified," Pang said, and his smile was a razor.

For another sixteen seconds, Chalker glared out of Pang's display. Then, abruptly, his facial muscles went absolutely rigid, as if some magic wand had turned his face to stone. He stayed that way for several seconds, then shook himself.

"Are you threatening me?" he demanded incredulously.

"Yes," Pang said simply. "I am."

Chalker simply stared at him, and Pang wondered what else the other man could have expected to happen.

"You think you can come waltzing into Solarian space and threaten Solarian citizens? Tell a Solarian warship you'll open fire on it?" Chalker said sixteen seconds later.

"It's not my wish to threaten anyone, Admiral. It is my intention to carry out my orders and to deal with any threat to the merchant shipping for which I'm responsible, and you've just announced your intention to fire on unarmed merchant vessels. Should you do so, I will fire on you, and I suggest you recall what happened to Admiral Byng at New Tuscany. If you actually intend to attack after doing that, go ahead and let's get it over with. Otherwise, Sir, I have rather more important matters which require my attention. Good day."
          “You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy.” -Nightbirde.at AGT, 2019

Main problem with troubleshooting is: trouble shoots back? (Quelle: Google+)

Kommentar

Gibt ja plötzlich einiges zu lesen den Honorforen...
            Es ist noch Snippet aufgetaucht:

A short passage from Shadow of Freedom. The person speaking is Mike Henke (just introduced by Khumalo) addressing the Talbott war cabinet and Governor Medusa:

"Thank you, Sir," Michelle replied with rather more formality than had become the norm between her and the man who commanded Talbott Station. Then it was her turn to look around the table, making eye contact with the men and women responsible for the Quadrant's governance.

"Essentially," she began, "our problem is that while Admiral Khumalo and I believe we've decisively demonstrated our combat superiority, we simply don't have enough hyper-capable units to cover the entire Quadrant. I doubt anyone back at Admiralty House is any happier about that than we are, although I'll grant our unhappiness has a little more immediacy than theirs does. Unfortunately, I don't see any way the deployment priorities are going to change anytime soon. Given the combination of what's happened to the home system, the fact that we have no reason to believe at this time that the Sollies have an additional force anywhere near the size of Crandall's in our own vicinity, and the activation of Case Lacoön, there simply aren't any more ships for the Admiralty to send our way.

"So we have to make do with what we have, and while neither Admiral Khumalo nor I like that situation, it's one Queen's officers have had to deal with more often than we'd like to remember.

"After careful consideration, we've concluded that the best use of our current forces will be to cover each system of the Quadrant with four or five LAC squadrons for local defense, backed up by a couple of dispatch boats. The LACs should be more than adequate to deal with any 'pirate' stupid enough to come this way, and given what we've seen of SLN technology, they also ought to be able to deal with any Solly raiding force that doesn't include a core of capital ships. Given Crandall's losses, it's unlikely there are enough Solarian capital ships anywhere near the Quadrant to provide that kind of force. Obviously, that's subject to change — possibly without much warning — but even in a worst-case scenario, the local-defense LACs should be able to at least delay and harass any attackers while one of the dispatch boats goes for help.

"I realize there's been some thought of splitting up our own capital ships in order to give our star systems greater protection."

She carefully didn't look in the direction of the two men sitting on either side of Samiha Lababibi. Antonio Clark, from the Mainwaring System, was the Quadrant's Minister of Industry, while Clint Westman, a Montanan cousin of the famous (or infamous) Stephen Westman, headed the Ministry of the Interior. On the face of it, they should have been almost as unlikely allies of an oligarch like Lababibi as Krietzmann once had been, but the nature of their responsibilities gave them a certain commonality of viewpoint. Inevitably, all three were worried — deeply — about what would happen if the Quadrant's star systems were hit by anything like the Yawata Strike. Westman and Clark, especially, had argued in favor of dispersing Tenth Fleet to give every star system at least some protection. After all, they'd pointed out, the decisive superiority of the Manticoran Navy had been conclusively demonstrated, so the traditional risks of defeat in detail for dispersed units must be less applicable than usual.

Lababibi had found herself in the same camp, although she'd been a rather less fervent spokeswoman for their position.

"There are several reasons we're not proposing to do that," Michelle continued. "The two most important ones, though, are that dispersing our capital ships wouldn't provide any appreciable increase in system security against the sort of attack which hit the home system, but it would disperse the powerful, concentrated striking forces it's vital to maintain to respond to any fresh Solarian activity in our area.

"At the moment, the Admiralty and ONI are still working on how the Yawata Strike was launched. From the information available so far, Admiral Hemphill is more convinced than ever the attack relied on a new, previously unknown drive technology. In effect, we believe the attackers were 'invisible' to our normal tracking systems. So far, at least, no one's been able to suggest how whatever drive they used might work or how we might go about figuring out how to detect it in the future. In the meantime, however, analysis also suggests the attackers were probably operating in relatively small forces, relying on their cloak of invisibility rather than raw combat power. I realize that may sound absurd, given the damage inflicted, but I assure you that if a single podnought — or even a couple of Nike-class battlecruisers — had been able to get into range of the inner system totally undetected, that would have been ample to have inflicted all of that damage.

"My point is that the problem in Manticore wasn't lack of combat power or lack of defenses; it was the inability to see the enemy coming. Scattering wallers around the Quadrant's star systems isn't going to appreciably increase our ability to detect these people. We can deploy enough remote sensor platforms — in fact, we're already in the process of deploying them — to give each of our systems more detection capability than an entire squadron of SDs could provide. The LACs will give us large numbers of manned combat platforms to chase down and prosecute possible contacts; the dispatch boats will be available to send for help in the case of an attack in strength; and we'll be deploying enough missile pods in planetary orbit to provide the long-range missile firepower of at least a pair of SD(P)s in each system. We won't have the sort of sustained firepower superdreadnoughts could provide, or the area missile defense they could offer, but we'll have enough to deal with anything short of a Solly battle squadron, assuming we see it coming."
            Shadow of Freedom ist der Arbeitstitel des Buches nach A Rising Thunder.
            A Rising Thunder wird wohl erst im Frühjahr 2012 als Hardcover veröffentlicht werden (EArc also wohl Weihnachten 2011?), Shadow of Freedom dementsprechend wohl bestenfalls Ende 2012.

Zum Snippet:
            Man kann wohl daraus entnehmen, das A Rising Thunder und Shadow of Freedom leider nur wieder einen sehr kurzen Zeitraum abdecken werden.
            Womöglich werden sie wieder ähnlich kurz sein wie Mission of Honor.

Und noch etwas ganz was anderes:
            DW hat die Tage einiges auf davidweber.net gepostet / posten lassen. Unter anderem
            The master map is in the process of being converted from the original pen-and-paper map of 20 years ago into an electronic format. I have most of the “northern quadrant” of the SL, the SKM, Silesia, the Anderman Empire, and the critical systems of the Mesan Alignment and its allies firmly nailed down; the map is not complete, by a long chalk, however, and (in particular) I still don’t have all of the hyper bridges and wormholes on it. The other problem, of course, is that I started off with a flat 2-D map, and converting to 3-D at this point has all sorts of problems, especially when it comes to distances which have already been made canon and would necessarily change once I started mapping “accurately” for elevation. The maps are in the hands of the guys looking to do the HH movies, and I don’t know whether or not they’re planning on a 3-D conversion, though I think it would be cool if it could be done

I am absolutely, perfectly aware that fans who would do that represent a teeny-tiny, itty-bitty percentage of the whole, which is one reason I do not go out of my way to find you wicked malefactors when you do it. I am also someone who wrote the odd piece of fanfic for himself in my way younger days, although I never posted it or shared it. (To be fair, in those long lost days of yore there was nowhere to post it, but let's not go there.) The situation is further complicated by the fact that in the very new future there are going to be additional people with an interest in copyght infringement because of various option deals which are being finalized as I write. When that happens, things may well get stickier.

Habe ich da was verpasst?
            Zuletzt geändert von Nighthawk_; 26.05.2011, 16:45.

Kommentar

also von dem film wusste ich auch noch nichts, bin gespannt was das wird, tippe aber eher auf animiert als auf ne Verfilmung mit echten Schauspielern.

p.s Erfährt man eigentlich in den Ship Books zum Saganami Tactical Simulator irgendwas interessantes, wie weitere Geschichte oder ist das nur für die Leute die das Spiel schon haben?
              Zuletzt geändert von Master.Mind; 27.05.2011, 16:30.

Kommentar

Zitat von Nighthawk_ Beitrag anzeigen
                Habe ich da was verpasst?

Nun, das MWW ein, sagen wir mal, eher gespanntes Verhältnis zu FanFic hat, ist nichts neues.
                Aber was konkret neuerlich vorgefallen ist, da habe ich keine Ahnung.
                Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic.

- Florance Ambrose

Kommentar

Soweit ich weiß liegt das nicht an ihm sondern an irgendeinem Unternehmen den Baen gewisse Copyrightrechte überlassen hat.
                  Mir gings aber darum, was diese "various option deals which are being finalized as I write" sein sollen, sprich ob sich da mal wieder was in Richtung Film tut.

Kommentar

Zitat von Master.Mind Beitrag anzeigen
                    also von dem film wusste ich auch noch nichts, bin gespannt was das wird, tippe aber eher auf animiert als auf ne Verfilmung mit echten Schauspielern.
                    Ehrlich gesagt: Ich hätte kein Problem mit einem animierten Film oder noch besser ein animierten Serie. Im Gegenteil: Das ideale Medium für eine Adaption wäre (imho zumindest) eine schöne Anime-Weltraumoper im Stil von Macross oder Legend of Galactic Heroes. Natürlich mit einem ordentlichen Budget und Mitspracherecht für Weber. Das war zumindest das, was ich immer vor meinen geistigen Augen hatte, als ich die Bücher las.

Allerdings: Egal ob Live Action oder animiert: Ich würde eher eine Serie bevorzugen.

mfg
                    Dalek
                    "The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one can not live in a cradle forever."
                    -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Kommentar

Das mit dem Film hab ich schonmal vor längerer Zeit gelesen, war da nichtmal die Jolie als HH in Rede ?
                      Ich muß mal schaun ob ich den Link wiederfinde.

Kommentar

DW hasst Jolie afaik. (nicht, dass ich es nicht verstehen kann, aber vermutlich hatt er andere Gründe...)

Claudia Christian war mal inoffiziell im Gespräch, aber inzwischen drüfte sie doch etwas zu alt sein für eine 3rd-gen Prolong...
                        Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic.

- Florance Ambrose

Kommentar

Egal wer die Rolle geben wird, ich hoffe doch es wird um einiges besser als die letzten Romanverfilmungen wie Eragon, Goldene Kompass usw. Wobei den Kompass fand ich ganz gut.

Kommentar

DW hat sich hinsichtlich möglicher Honorverse Filme jetzt wie folgt geäusert:
                            I will only say this. We are in the final stages of completing (as in, writing actual contract language) a movie option on the Honorverse. Said option is visualizing multiple movies, beginning with OBS and progressing. It will be done by one of the cutting edge CGI/3-D houses in the world, it will (assuming present plans hold) use live actors, and "Nimitz will be expensive. CGI for quadrapeds is a pain in the butt!" according to one of the guys who will be doing the work. Of course, he smiled a lot when he said it.

Assuming the process proceeds as scheduled (always an interesting assumption . . . in the Chinese curse sense), the production process will run about five years: 2 of creative development; 1 for nailing down things like cast, director, etc., and 2 years for principal photography and special effects (which would be done in house). And I have been specifically retained as a creative consultant for the project by people who are insisting that "Special effects cannot make a successful movie. Special effects can make a satisfying visual spectacle, but what makes a movie is character and what make a series of movies is character illuminated by story."

See why I like these guys?
                            Oh, it's going to be a lot closer than the lensman cra --- er, material was. Of course, that's not saying all the much, is it? [G] Seriously, at this point I am feeling very good about the project. We are already discussing some small departures from the exact story line, but nothing --- I repeat, nothing --- they've said even comes close to changing the characters, the basic story arc, or the feel of the books. Obviously this is very early days yet, but I'm comfortable with their commitment to maintaining the characters. I think there will probably be some divergences from the way I see them, but I will guarantee there are already some divergences between the way I see them and the way you see them. All of the minor departures they've mentioned to me so far fit perfectly with the story and the characters and are more ways that a different medium moves the tale along than anything else. Of course, they are going to make a couple of changes, some of which I am sure are going to please the readership. Like going completely "paperless." Mind you, I only use paper for formal occasions, but what the heck?

The thing I really, really like about the conversations we've had so far is their focus on finding CGI and special effects which enhance the story that already exists instead of simply using the special effects as a substitute for story.

I feel good about this, I really do.

Oops! Edited to add:

I personally see no reason at all that Bahzell shouldn't be turned into a movie, or even a whole series of them! I think it would be a wonderful idea; now all we have to do is interest a studio. In the meantime, we have had a nibble at the movie rights for Out of the Dark, but if anyone wants people to sparkle I am going to be soooooo unhappy! :P

Weber Forums • View topic - Any movie/tv series deals a possibility?

Da tut sich also tatsächlich was, auch wenn es sich wohl hinziehen wird.

Kommentar

Zitat von Nighthawk_ Beitrag anzeigen
                              Da tut sich also tatsächlich was, auch wenn es sich wohl hinziehen wird.
                              Das es sich bei ihm etwas hinzieht ist ja nu nichts neues, nicht wahr

Kommentar

wenn du meinst das ist lange hinziehen schau dir doch mal A Song of Ice and Fire an ich bezweifle, dass ich den abschluss dieser Serie noch erlebe.

Kommentar

Lädt...
                                X